"These days, what people would long for is probably as simple as 'silence' or peace. Scarce as it is, one may go through great lengths to find it. Some might climb the highest of mountains, solve the hardest of challenges, or even lock oneself in one's room, just to find one's inner peace; one's own unique reason to smile at a world that looks at oneself in disgust and hate. As for us, we find our peace by expressing ourselves. Maybe that's why we smile everyday..."


Thursday, November 8, 2007

Daddy, Come Back


Note: This would be my current post for this week ^_^ hope you enjoy!

“I thank my God every time I remember you.” Philippians 1:3

Sarah, a regular 16 year old girl, sits in the park bench and closes her eyes. She breathes in the autumn air that gently sways around her. When she opened her eyes, she realized a tear has fallen down her pink cheeks. She quickly wipes it away as if the park was one of her family parties where she simply must never make a scene. But from where she was sitting, there was no one in sight. Her watch read 4:56 PM. It has practically been half an hour since she has walked past those red bricked fences that open up into the park. She took out her bible from her knapsack; the bible. The bible represented so much of her life. Maybe not quite the words written in it, she hasn’t yet to commit to anything at this dark moment. The book represented the one symbol of love her father has ever given her. The very last gesture he had done before that night. That night.

That particular night seems to be just a few moments before when she finally got up to see a calendar and was barely moved by the fact that that night was a month ago. A few moments past and she blinked and looked up unto the sky that seemed endless. She sighed as she opened up the bible to the back passage of Revelations. She took out a well read piece of paper out and read it once again for the thousandth time that week.

Dear Sarah,

Forgive me for these brief few little words I am only able to write to you. You know how I’ve never been good in words nor in taking care of you. I have neglected to tell you of this illness I have inside me. This illness is not the cancer you have recently known about located in my brain. This illness is in my very soul and engraved into my very bones. This illness is the phobia of the wonderful things you are.

Ever since your mother past away, we as a family struggled through many issues of your education, our family income and our home. You had to move to a new neighborhood, a new school; and leave everything you knew behind in one night. However, though I might regret telling you this, for you will never see me the same way ever again, that night while you were sleeping I went quickly to the doctor and found out of this illness you now know of. It was my decision to not go through the process of many tests and surgery; for I much spend my time looking at my little angle grow. Forgive me; if only I had gone through it I would probably be right there beside you at least one time through the times we’ve spent together.

I am afraid that soon my body is unable to fight off this illness any longer; both physically and mentally. Therefore, I quickly decided to write you this. Sarah, I love you. With every living breath of my life I have always did and forever will. The very purpose of my existence was you and your mother. Forgive me angel. Daddy will always look out for you and love you. Do not cry, smile for me.

Forever with love,

Daddy.

That moment, her last tear had fallen onto the letter. She folded it and placed it back where it belonged, slipped it back into her bible. Sarah got up from that bench; she closed her eyes and prayed a brief prayer of love and thanks. She swallowed hard and did what she never thought she could do ever again. Sarah smiled.

As I watched over Sarah walking back across the park, I realized that it was a year before that I last saw her smile. Closing My own book, I am satisfied. My daughter, My child; I will always watch over you.

1 comment:

Naphthalene said...

ANGST!!!!! This is such a nice piece of work; it presented the fact that love comes in different forms depending on the person demonstrating it...Makes me long for my own Daddy :) Keep it up gal!