How strange is it of the modern world to forget about the past as easily as it were to overlook one’s daily chores, about a world gone by thousands of years ago from whence we came from. Numerous times, I would gaze out the window as I type out my ideas, contemplating what it would have been like to travel back into history, receiving first-hand accounts on days gone by, to sift through the available overwhelming witnesses’ records in order to discover the truth, and to understand a bit more of whom we humans truly are.
Hmm, if we only have a time machine.
But we understandably don’t.
Glastonbury Tor
All we do have are stories, legends, of documents telling the present world of valour and astounding deeds accomplished by those who have found it impossible to do so today. I have always been more increasingly captivated by the truly distant past, of Mayan temples, of rumours describing the wonders of the ancient worlds and of the discoveries concerning notorious artifacts dating back to the medieval times more than the history of the past few centuries or so. Ever since I have read novels concerning King Arthur and the mystical enigma which shrouded his reign, I have been absolutely drawn into that world more so than ours. I smiled thoughtfully whenever I encounter yet another legend regarding Excalibur, Glastonbury Tor, a location where it was rumoured to be King Arthur’s final resting place and the location of the entranceway to Avalon which is surrounded by occasional mists, and of the stories concerning the knights of the round table that we children once knew so well.
True, perhaps these stories weren’t real; perhaps they were simply there to appease the people from having nothing to whisper about by the fireplaces during cold, winter nights. On the other hand, everything has a small hint of truth within them, even though numerous years have passed, distorting many of its accounts and records.
And, nevertheless, a girl could still dream.
The public, as well, have been demanding more of legends and of stories, increasingly more controversial and debatable movie topics which would aid them in, for a brief time, escaping their own restrictive world. Fantasy novels, shows, and movies have been released with great vigour and the audience devoured every single moment in anticipation…for the most part :) I, for one, was one of the many who was engulfed in the wave of new resurgence of the popular genre of fiction concerning of a world other than the one we do know.
It would be strange to believe that these stories were actually true, that these so-called elaborated legends contained more than a hint of reality and into a time where it was once possible. I often still let my imagination loose, and continue to dream of whether or not the stories were simply a figment of the poets’ and bards’ minds, or the telling of an exaggerated truth which we could no longer decipher. Unfortunately, as time grew even more distant into the future, we could often no longer recall where we have derived from, and it would apparently grow worse as technology continues to improve and progress appears inevitable. On the other hand, we too would be become legends, I suppose, if time is prolonged for that long a while into the future, and even then the stories would be remembered by historians.
I assume that the various stories, myths as well as legends would never be lost, however. It would always remain alive, no matter if Time goes on and on, down the worn pathways of life. Ah well, anyhow, these stories and tall tales are what keeps us alive and ignite the inspiration that we once knew but lost. Even then, I often wonder whether or not we were better off now than within the remote past :)
No comments:
Post a Comment