"These days, what people would long for is probably as simple as 'silence' or peace. Scarce as it is, one may go through great lengths to find it. Some might climb the highest of mountains, solve the hardest of challenges, or even lock oneself in one's room, just to find one's inner peace; one's own unique reason to smile at a world that looks at oneself in disgust and hate. As for us, we find our peace by expressing ourselves. Maybe that's why we smile everyday..."


Saturday, September 22, 2007

What The Future Holds

*Yeah, so I procrastinated this week’s blog, so again forgive me this very bad entry because I seriously am writing as I go along with absolutely no structure in mind. Just a warning*

Ten, twenty years from now, where would we all be? The sheer thought of the future somewhat seem daunting, at least to me. In perfect honesty, I often wonder where I would be three, four years ahead of my life, confused whether I am ready to journey on to womanhood and grapple the task of being an adult. At the present moment, high school is taking up my life, consuming my time and filling the gaps of boredom which I normally would have felt during an idle summer. Where and what I would do when I finally graduate, finish university, with all that supposed free time on my hands?

I have to admit, the future involves, for me, a shrouded and blurry vision of what I assumed I would be. All my hopes and dreams; would they come true or would they turn into an impossibility that I cannot but help follow? Not only that, would I be able to handle the various responsibilities which would fall and ask of me as soon as I turn into an adult? The future holds nothing but uncertainties and I often worry about it, wondering if I spent my life accordingly and to the full so that when I die, I would have at least left some mark upon the world.

In times when I feel melancholy and anxious about whether or not I was ready to confront the future, it is also equally comforting to realize that God had planned all of this life for me, that I don’t have to worry, and that I don’t have to be anxious about what I was called to do. To some, this type of thinking that a God created a mould in which we are to fill is restrictive and an awful way to live out life.

On the contrary, I know that if there is a God who plans and knows where our lives would lead, it would be sufficient enough to trust him. Of course, the future lies in our hands as the saying goes, “God helps those who help themselves”. The trouble is that many of our mistakes and bungles committed in this life would cost us happiness and our dreams and hopes. That mainly is the reason why I worry about the future; the wonder whether or not I would be able to make the right decisions and choices without costing them my chances of success in life!

At present, assignments, tests and homework dominate my life. When I was younger, I desired for school to end, and now I do not even have to wish for the next holiday to come when it is already upon me. I was caught unaware due to the mounts of work we have to do which quickened the weeks. Now, the prospect of facing the future is inevitable. Soon, all of us Grade 11s would tackle EE, panic over exams, and finally, apply to universities which would determine our separate pathways. What would happen next after that? Would some of us apply for jobs and become successful? Or would the rest simply go on with their lives, applying for more universities to become doctors, lawyers or other work? The future holds so many uncertainties that I am glad that at least one knows where I would be and what I would be twenty years from now.

*Like I said before, this entry is not one of best ones. I wrote it because I didn't know what else to write about. I hate writer's block! The idea of the future had always frightened me though. How about you? What do you think?*

2 comments:

Enchanting Pixie said...

I agree. I often wonder myself.
Many adults have told me that I would have an interesting, dynamic and great future. With the talents we each possess, I myself wonder what the future may bring. Afraid to take a wrong turn.

However, think this. If we wonder and ponder on things of the unknown. If we are bliss in worry and discomfort, we will miss out in what life may bring us. The good and the bad; to really think about the bad things makes us appreciate and value the good. Live life as it comes, try focusing on what is in front of us. Do our very best in everything and apply the words of God. How can we get lost by doing so...

If we did, that simply is the fun of life. We aren't meant to know everything around us. That would make us God. That would make life, boring.

Anonymous said...

Until this day, I am still wondering where I should head for College-all this time I let God decide all my life and I just went with it!

I still wonder about my future, and this blog caught my attention.

Oh well, backup plan B:

ENLIST TO THE MILITARY!!!