"These days, what people would long for is probably as simple as 'silence' or peace. Scarce as it is, one may go through great lengths to find it. Some might climb the highest of mountains, solve the hardest of challenges, or even lock oneself in one's room, just to find one's inner peace; one's own unique reason to smile at a world that looks at oneself in disgust and hate. As for us, we find our peace by expressing ourselves. Maybe that's why we smile everyday..."


Friday, September 14, 2007

One of My Pet Peeves!

* And yet ANOTHER NOTE: I couldn’t think of anything else to write today (well, actually my writing day’s Wednesday, but I had so much work to do as of lately that I didn’t have time to work on this), so sorry if today’s blog seems kind of…weak and lacking in its structure. And, BTW, my blog doesn’t so sound trivial as the title implies and remember, it's just my opinion!…*

It was yet just another typical, one-sided, heated debate in class about issues that are currently happening in the world. I listened with boredom as my friends continued to argue about controversial topics such as gay marriage, the separation between Church and State, and so many more others that I stopped taking count. Now, normally I would simply remain dormant during these discussions between student and teacher and instead bury my whole being into a more interesting novel, intentionally shutting out the world around me; oblivious. Eventually, my attempts to block out these talks proved to be futile and I began to listen in, curious to hear about how my peers view the world.

“I believe that the government should impose biblical-based values on its overall system. After all, doesn’t the Bible introduce the best type of moral code and law?” One guy argued.

My teacher replied, “But what about other religions? Don’t they also implement similar teachings that all people would eventually follow through their common sense?”

I thought about this, and I stated rather timidly, “Isn’t it good for people within the government to, you know, have Christian values? I mean, I know about the separation of the Church and State and all, but-”

My teacher interrupted when I began to hesitate, “But what about when other people of different religions come into power? Would you have them implement their codes on you? Why do you think we have the Separation of Church and State in the first place?”

“No, but…Um…-”

I shut my mouth up immediately afterward. It was useless to argue. This was one of the reasons why I hated debates. No matter how strong my convictions were, no matter how much I truly believed in something, I never was able to size up the problem correctly and would always result in looking like a fool. I looked down at my hands as the debate continued on and I sighed inwardly, contemplating how complicated the world had become and how the truth and the verbalizing of opinions became so difficult to articulate, especially if you are going to state something which would go against the entire class (such as in my belief about the fact that whenever someone harms you in one way, you try not to fight back but instead show love…I was so dissed when I said that!).

From this previous experience, it would be obvious to deduce that I was not prepared in fighting for what I believe in nor did I attempt to argue in a more broad perspective. However, it would also mean that in modern times, stating a simple truth or a thoughtful opinion could rake in hundreds of unwanted criticism, all bombarding out to the author in open anger, agreement, and other typical reactions when a person views a ‘radical’ document. Now, if I state that I deem that gay-marriage is wrong and sinful (which I sincerely DO believe), I would probably be met with so many contradictions that I would not know how to answer to them all!

Another instance where my opinions were restricted is within this blog. When I was writing out my very first entry about my first impression of Indonesia, I was tempted to not include anything good or impressive or progressive about the country in my coming here or in my time here afterward (just my opinions, people!), but after contemplating on it, I realized that I have to be ‘neutral’. How I sometimes absolutely HATE that word!! It would mean that I would have to censure my thoughts and what I reveal to the pubic. It is so very difficult to do so, though, especially if my emotions get the better of me!

In the case if Ms. Jess is reading this, I am not angry. I am just frustrated and annoyed at the fact that it is growing to be more difficult to express your opinions and how simple it is for those to speak out wrong opinions (and yes, there is a standard in human existence that allows us to realize what is wrong and right and makes us feel guilty when we somehow go against that standard, which is all the time) are accepted by the public and the government even though the majority said ‘NO’! In fact, the problem of trying to speak out your opinions and are instead
overruled by others who did not even give you a chance to speak is another pet peeve of mine.

To wrap it all up, all I am saying is that I know I have a lot to improve when it comes to arguing for the right issue and how to try to become more open to other people’s opinions. On the other hand, it is so trying to stand up and talk about what I believe in because I know that I would be facing a lot of opposition…and that could also be increasingly daunting to the extent that I would always put on a mask to gain the favour of my peers without truly revealing what I feel and believe. Today’s society actually did not gain more freedom than previous ages; in many ways, it is evidently more restrictive… *Sigh*.

* So, how do you like this day’s entry? Not very academic, I know, but then again, I’m sick of writing essay style entries with huge words and complex grammar that makes me feel dumb. Don’t you? :) *

7 comments:

vitriolic said...

I totally AGREE!! i mean, i thought that blogging would give me the right to say whatever I truly want to say, but apparently not. I suppose Avalon, that to do so we shall have to make an anonymous blog. I'm sure Ms. Jess agree's, she herself has her own anon. blog.
In this gated SPH community I think no one can TRULY have 100% independent say. We are rather conservative don't you think?

Well, maybe, you, I, Gary, and several other people should perhaps in the distant (or not so distant future) make one.. (others include Naomi and Kerri.

Anonymous said...

YES!!!!!!!!! I sooo agree!

Apparently saying what you have to say ends up pissing everyone off and turning the entire world against yourself.

Therefore it is unwise to be honest and frank.

Yes, we shall start a non-SPH-related blog wher we can finally have the liberty to speak without the fear of opinion-oppression.

Anonymous said...

This is not about needing to be neutral at all times. If you have an opinion.. voice it. We do have a certain amount of "freedom of speech". Just don't directly take stabs at obvious people. Don't be mean spirited but be real! I'm sorry you feel the need to censor yourselves but I also know the freedom and catharsis found in an anonymous blog! (just don't deprive us of your good writing in order to be anon)

Naphthalene said...

Actually, i didn't really mean that we should start off an anon. blog, though i have to admit that it would be awesome. i just thought it annoying how some people don't even give me a chance to say what i meant to say and in the process, leave me looking like i'm dumb and ignorant.

i agree that we can't just directly hurt someone with what we write and say, but i'm just saying that even with our freedom of speech, a lot of times we end up shutting up as a result peer or other pressures. I just want to change that.

Besides, this is just one blog topic i've been meaning to write for a LOOOONG time already, so i've just to get it off of my chest before it slips by me :)

"Moo," said the cow. said...

wheee!!!!!
wakakakakakak.

again, i don't know what i'm doing.

Pb, lead said...

Maybe it's because we write for comments...

Just a thought.

Certainly, if it's your blog and your opinion it really doesn't matter if some weird guy in Norway thinks you're a freak and gets 50 other of his friends to write harsh, criticizing comments on your blog (because you would delete them anyway, right?).

Naphthalene said...

i know that it's my opinion, and i definitely don't care less if someone random dude commented on me. To be absolutely honest, i made this blog b/c i got nothing else to write about and this was just something which peeved me off....did i not mention that this blog entry was weak and lacking in its structure?