"These days, what people would long for is probably as simple as 'silence' or peace. Scarce as it is, one may go through great lengths to find it. Some might climb the highest of mountains, solve the hardest of challenges, or even lock oneself in one's room, just to find one's inner peace; one's own unique reason to smile at a world that looks at oneself in disgust and hate. As for us, we find our peace by expressing ourselves. Maybe that's why we smile everyday..."


Friday, September 7, 2007

Tales of Long Words

Disclaimer: This post might be offensive to some and so try to be open-minded.
Note: Comment please. If you like it say so. If you don't criticize so I improve. But please don't stay silent or things will forever be the same. I have toned down the cynicism, bitterness and if you want something different in what I post do say cause I will do it eventually.

The future, the present and the past. We live in a world of big words. In result, we have to rely more and more on dictionaries and encyclopedias to sound smart or to understand what people trying to sound smart actually mean. I am certain that you have been affected too either as a victim or source.

I am sure you know that big words have a lot of power. Whenever you want to create a sophisticated impression, use big words. Whenever you want to sound smart, use big words. Whenever you want to intimidate, use big words. Whenever you want to exclude somebody of lower intelligence, you resort to big words. Due to this power, we are intoxicated by big words. We buy thesaurus. We learn it everyday. We take down notes whenever we come across a big word we don't know. Well to tell you the truth, I am sickened of you all using these bloody long words.

Well, in actuality I don't mind people using these big words cause it builds my vocabulary. But the ones I despise are those that use the thesaurus or uses big words to impress to make life difficult for both himself and me. Why the hell go through so much trouble as looking through a thesaurus to type a longer word when you have the perfect simple word to describe something. It sincerely confuses me the troubles people go through to pretend to be something they are not. Writing is supposed to be natural with flow and rhythm to it. When you pull up another word from the dictionary, you disrupt everything natural about it; be it the flow or rhythm. Another thing you might disturb is the emotion. I mean would you rather have me say "The erudite manner through which you have expressed your tenets and paradigms impresses me. A commendable effort" or "The way you expressed your thoughts and ideas are impressive to me. Good job." If your choice is the former, I feel sorry for you because you have truly lost grasp of what is important and also worn out your thesaurus and dictionary.

So please, I beg of you. Be yourself. You don't have to sound smart through big words for people to know you are smart. You don't have to use big words to be something you are not. What matters is what you say and how it flows. Having good language skills is not about how to use big words to "wow" people. It is about writing with emotion, rhythm and nice flow. It is about invoking emotions. It is about being inspiring, being a muse. Of course I would be impressed if you can convey it in such a manner with the use of big words with a nice flow. But if you are not used to it yet, don't force it. If you use big words before you are able, you'll only come off as a person who tries too hard and who is well, rather insecure. You might think that it is a tad hypocritical of me to say all this as I am a lover of obscure big words but trust me, I had never opened a thesaurus and I am not planning to until I am old and have nothing else to do but learn synonyms. Simplicity is after all beautiful and simple words in actuality had been underestimated in everyone's desire to sound unique and smart with their long, obscure words that they forget the statement.

I wish you all will appreciate the beauty of simple words.
I wish you are secure enough to use simple words.
So that you may not need to be bound to the thesaurus and dictionaries forever.
All I can hope for is that wishes do come true.

"Ostentatious Drabbles from The Realms of Insanity: Part 2 ENd"

10 comments:

Enchanting Pixie said...

straight to the point, honest, your true vibrant colors of writing can seriously be seen through this piece of writing.

May I say.. bRAVo~

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hey... increase the extremity of the cynicism/bitterness/anger/fury whatever please... its much funner to read when you're passionate...!!!

although I do completely agree with what you said here.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr Voltspersecond said...

long does not mean advanced. I mean, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious has a simple meaning, and it is still a hippopotomonstrosesquidiam, among others.

wan, din, err, qua; although short are quite advanced words.

Nevertheless, simplicity lies in the openness of oneself. Simple as that.

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

try not to insult the general public in your disclaimer... by singling out the "prissy prudes" who are not open minded.. you in fact are showing your close-mindedness...
be careful! be nice!

Lazy Squid said...

This is not the best thing I have ever written and I did it in like 15 minutes so I apologize because I was in a hurry to finish my entry of the week. I am sorry if I disappointed your expectations. By the way, I did not use the thesaurus for prissy. It's just a very easy to remember word and if you look it up, you'll see that its meaning is unique . And Yoga, I never referred to them as long words but big words. And I seriously have no idea what you said of the longness and advanced concept so you must explain to me sometime as I am not intellectual like you. I am sorry, but I could not get passionate this time as I was feverish and when you are sick, you tend to have more passion for the bed than typing on a blog.And its actually not anger or fury that I need as muse cause I sure was angry that I had to deprive myself of sleep to type some topic I had to think of in my feverish mind. I think I do better in bitterness rather and you thought it was funny? Thats rather surprising. Well, I'll do better the next time and thanks for some of your comments.

Lazy Squid said...

I'll be nicer and more careful next time.
I admit I am close-minded and I apologize for that but thats the way it is and sometimes it just shows through unintentionally, most of all when I feel anger and malice. So I am sorry if you are offended by my descriptions and so I have replaced it with a more general word. Well I am sorry if I hurt any feelings or stepped on toes and I appreciate efforts to warn me of that. Next time you feel I am doing something wrong, feel free to voice your opinions and do not be afraid of my close-mindedness because I am not going to get violent and kill you in a moment of insanity. I'll be more careful next time so as not to let my emotions run ahead of me and so try not to think too badly of me for my mistake this time.

Anonymous said...

You don't need to apologize.. it was a very good post. I'm just saying to be careful!