*SIGH* Yea, hope you enjoy the story I made up when I was bored. None of it is true, but it's not even finished yet since I still have to edit most of its previous draft. Anyway, enjoy!
A wise old man who lived not long ago once said to me, “When I was just your age, the world was as free as a bird soaring endlessly through the skies. Wild horses galloped wildly through the open wilderness. Trees dominated my land and the fish swam deep in clean waters.”
The old man laid his back on his rocking chair, creaking, and sighed longingly. He looked at me straight in the eye and said, “The world was once a beautiful place, where limits were non-existent and the air as clean as its pure water as it reflected the shining sun on a hot afternoon,” He paused for a moment once more, as if he felt his memories calling him from a distance, of a time long ago, before he finally said, “The world was never meant for polluting and abusing, but for us to take care of and enjoy. We were given this gift,” He gestured and pointed to his backyard, “This world long ago…” He stopped when he saw the look on my face. He knew well that I didn’t agree with what he was about to say.
The old man looked at me again in the eye until I couldn’t match his gaze. I stared at the ground in silence. He gave me a sad smile when I had the nerve to look back at him again.
“The world was made by a Creator, a great, mighty and loving Being who created the heavens and formed the earth, weaving our lives like ornate robes of many colours. He gave His Son as a sacrifice for worthless humans to save them from an everlasting regret and mourning in Hell, away from His presence.” He cocked his eyebrows when I opened my mouth to cry out in protest.
“Yes, even humans are worthless. Try comparing yourself to the Universe, and you can see how insignificant you really are. However, His love for you, and for me, makes us special beyond all means. He created us to be unique because we would form a relationship with Him, so that we may bring glory to His name.” He shook his head at humans’ folly and nodded towards me, “I have made my decision long ago, and have not regret it since. My master’s burden is light, his hand guiding me wherever I may go…” His words were lost by the strong winds approaching from the north, but his meaning was clear.
He suddenly turned to me and asked me urgently, “It is your turn to choose your path. What will it be?”
That was the last time I ever heard that question. The old man passed away unexpectedly the next week after our conversation, creating a gigantic tidal wave of sadness within our community. My family and I attended his recent funeral in reverence. It was a difficult time for all of us. We mourned over the dead man and when I viewed his face before they sealed the casket, I was overwhelmed with tears. I was surprised that his face revealed a smile he used to give me when I visited him. His forehead gave way to mysterious wrinkles that I had seen so many times before.
I may have had my share of arguments with him, which had often filled my lazy afternoons with excitement, and what he called, ‘a youthful passion’, but he was my Grandfather. The only adult in this entire world who would be willing to listen, understand, and guide me through life. Why did he leave me? Didn’t he know that he just carried away the only thing that matters in my life to his so-called ‘heaven’? Sobs heaved out of me as I watched them seal the casket and I began to sink into the ground, surrounded by blurred hands trying to keep me standing, trying to comfort me. Why? Why him of all the people in the world? Questions like these burst out in my mind until I was no longer able to think clearly, succumbing to an unshakable grief.
No comments:
Post a Comment